If the answer is multiple times you could be addicted to Internet.Please read this article to understand this new age lifestyle disease called Inernet.
How many times per day, do you check your personal email account(s) ? How often you meaninglessly check Facebook for new notifications and friend's updates?
|The Addiction called Internet|
What is internet addiction ?
If you think that remaining connected 24x7 to office, family and friends through e mails , social networking sites, phone apps is normal then there is a problem. If you have feel that your virtual personality is more important than your real presence then there is a problem.
Signs of Internet Addiction
- Spending plenty of time on gaming sites, porn sites and gambling etc.
- Signing in and Signing out on email accounts and facebook multiple times a day.
- Peeping into others virtual lives without any purpose
- Meetings and communication with family and friends, happening only on internet
- Insecurity that your world will crash if you are on not connected to the virtual world
- Unfounded curiosity that something new is waiting for you on your web address.
- Internet becomes the first place to spend even the last minute of your free time.
Why do people get addicted to the Internet ?
What starts as a source of information and a tool for work turns into an escapade to manage stress, loneliness, depression, and anxiety. A world that is virtual, that is unreal provides a jungle to get lost and helps us forget our pressing worries. Most of us sitting in a lonely corner of our houses, dally with this unreal world and expect it to relieve our pain and/or provide pleasure . We look for fun , satisfaction ,understanding, advice , help from a laptop screen. Is it not foolish , is it not abnormal ? We condition our mind to believe that the internet is answer to all our ailments and strengthen this premise by considering the benefits of it. Where as the reality is, fruitful time spent on net is fraction of the time engaged in futile activities. Slowly and gradually this habit builds on us and we get addicted to this demon called 'Internet', where our virtual existence takes control of our habits and our lives.
Lifestyle diseases due to excess use of Internet
- Strained Eyes
- Sleep Disorders
- Weight Gain or Loss
- Personality Disorders
How to strike a new balance ?To break free of this addiction one has to differentiate between the real and unreal world. The reasons for an unhappy mind have to be listed out and answers for them to be sought or discussed with the real people. Our support system, family, friends have to be given their importance and more investment has to go into making our relationships more stronger and richer. Let's agree on one simple thought and this is " Person to person interaction , a touch, eye to eye contact, a hug , a smile, a caring hand cannot be replaced by any of the virtual niceties."
Self Help Tips to get rid of Internet Addiction
- In the first place agree that this addiction is growing on you and it has the potential to harm in the long run.
- Fall in love again with mother nature. Choose morning walks , evening strolls , weekend picnics, camping, rafting or any outdoor activity that can be pursued regularly.
- Make it a practice to pick up phone and call your old friends , relatives and renew your ties. Ensure you create small occasions to catch up with them.
- Start the old practice of sending hand written letters and greeting cards. Trust you me it means a lot.
- Pick up old hobbies , interests and channelize them into something more prominent and more visible.
- Set a fixed duration for internet usage and clearly define what is work and what is non work.
- Spend quality time with family . Dining together , playing games with kids, going for a walk, outings , simple moments to laugh and cry together will cement our ties and make our life richer by priceless happiness.
- Ultimately reviewing that your dependency and over reliance on internet as a means for happiness is unrealistic and absurd. With time you will realize that Internet is just a tool , a technology to aid your growth, to progress your career and only a small bit to remain connected with family and friends.